The National Institutes of Health (NIH) estimates the number of Americans with pain-related ailments to exceed 100 million. A qualifying medical condition, chronic pain be the cause of an accidental, illness, condition, genetic factors and lifestyle habits, to name a few.
In some cases, the definitive cause might be impossible to determine. One thing is for sure, however – chronic pain can take it’s toll on more than one aspect of life. Desperation leads to doctoral visits, which usually results in the patients being prescribed a potentially addictive medication drug.
Is medical marijuana a tried-and-tested natural treatment?
You would have to be a real cynic not to believe the benefits of using medical marijuana in San Francisco as a pain treatment by now. Numerous scientific studies have revealed how marijuana can ease and even treat chronic pain. A specific study showed how inhaling marijuana by means of smoking was effective at relieving patients of chronic noncancer pain (CNCP).
Neuropathic pain, headaches and nerve damage are just a few examples of the most common pain-related problems that can be managed using medical cannabis. A person’s psychology and level of pain will depend on the effectiveness of a particular strain. For this reason, trial and error is inevitable for many patients.
How to Treat Chronic Pain Using Medical Marijuana
From transdermal patches to oils, there are a variety of ways to use medical marijuana as a treatment for chronic pain. Your decision rests on your medical needs and/or recreational requirements. Doctor’s will generally advise patients to experiment with the CBD-THC ratio beforehand.
Cannabidiol (CBD) can naturally aid health and does not have psychoactive properties, like the plant’s psychoactive compound, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
Here are 10 ways to use medically-proven cannabis for a powerful punch of Cannabinoids:
- Smoking – The vast majority of the world’s population will associated marijuana with smoking a ‘doobie’. This method is preferred for users who want to taste the strain, socialize and unwind. Opt for a bud with low-THC content to heal yourself with a joint, blunt or bong that doesn’t contain psychoactive properties.
- Vaporizing – Perhaps the second-most popular method of cannabis consumption is vaporizing. Inhaling CBD is actually advisable for patients who require prompt relief from pain. Vaporization requires inhalation, but your lungs won’t be faced with the toxicity linked to smoking.
- Tinctures or Sublingual Sprays – Cannabis seeds, whether they are taken from the hemp or marijuana plant, can be extracted into oil form. Pure and organic, CBD oil generally comprises high levels of the medically-proven cannabinoid.
- Ingestion (Edibles and Liquids) – Mother’s have administered their children with medical marijuana by means of ingestion, with an example being Joey-Hester Perez. The potency of Joey’s infused cookies transformed his behaviors and cured his severe autism. Cannabinoid receptors react positively with the brain as an anti-inflammatory when ingested in foods or liquids, like infused tea or blended shakes.
- Topical Treatments – Cannabis extracts can be infused into skin-safe treatments, like salves, balms and lotions. Medical patients with acne, dry skin, skin aging and for general skincare purposes. Prior to buying medical marijuana in topical form, confirm it’s cannabinoid content and suitability for direct skin application.
A few other methods of medical marijuana consumption you might consider include CBD-rich supplements, suppository form, and extracted powders. However, the methods mentioned above are easy to obtain and are manufactured in a wider scope of varieties.
Choosing Pain-Relieving Marijuana Strains
New strains of cannabis are being cultivated at a rapid rate. Cross-breeding techniques and new methods of extraction are enabling researchers and marijuana producers to present chronic pain sufferers with more options than ever before.
But what determines the potency of a pain-relieving cannabis strain, you ask?
Well, the cannabis plant’s CBD composition plays a big role in pain management. Growth conditions, seed quality and the source from which you buy medical marijuana will have a profound effect on its ability to alleviate pain caused by ailments, such as arthritis.
While there are an endless array of options for medical cannabis users, the following three strains have been recommended for their therapeutic and healing powers:
- Sour Diesel – Your mind will function in a positive way when this strain is consumed. It is ideal for treating depression, aches, pains and surprisingly, you can smoke it all day without entering sloth mode!
- White Widow – Worldwide cannabis connoisseurs will use this strong strain to get rid of any built-up tension. Expect a mild and enjoyable high from this hybrid, which combines with sativa elements to keep physical pain at bay.
- Master Kush – Just as effective at treating pain as the Northern Lights strain, this Indica-dominant strain guarantees a deep sleep. Feel relaxed and free from chronic pain when you inhale or ingest this strain.
Dispensary or Delivery Service?
Medical marijuana in San Francisco, when sold at a licensed dispensary, will give users peace of mind that they are acquiring cannabis legally. Furthermore, a dispensary will hire ‘budtenders’, who can answer questions and explain pain-relieving strains (like the variation described above) in detail. A delivery option will often be combined into the overall services offered at a medical marijuana dispensary. This is the better choice if you are busy or want to order your buds in privacy.